A strong foundation for your properties since 1919

FAQ – Your Questions

Many tenants have already had the same questions. To give you the right answer as quickly as possible, click through our FAQs.

Important questions answered quickly

Of course, you can reach and contact us at any time. You have several options to do so. Before you call or send us an email, you can also check to see if your questions have already been asked. See our FAQ below – you might be able to get some questions out of the way. Simply click through the various topics and look at the various questions as well as the corresponding answers. If you have a different questions or suggestions that have not been addressed: Call or e-mail us!

You can also use our contact form to send us your requests and questions.

Other important tenant information can be found outside of this site, such as on the municipal websites, for example

Your Questions

1. Topic

Flat Search

  • In principle, the lease states that a security deposit must be paid. You can choose any of the following:

    1. Your cash deposit is deposited into a separate security deposit account by the landlord

    2. The pledge of a passbook or

    3. The transfer of a guarantee by a bank

    4. Please note that we do not accept insurance. Legally speaking, it is possible to pay for the security deposit for flats in three instalments. Please note that the payment of the first instalment is due before the handover of the flat.

  • Yes! Both types of insurance policies are highly recommended, as both home insurance as well as liability insurance can protect you from running into financial problems. Thus, private liability insurance will cover the damages if your washing machine overflows and the water results in damages to the flat of your downstairs neighbour, for example. Home insurance covers damages to your furnishing, which might be caused by fire, water damage or a burglary, for instance. The insurance of the landlord is not liable in these instances.

  • Please register with the municipal utility providers. The handover protocol contains the meter readings that are important in this regard and which you have to supply to the provider of your choice. If your housing complex only offers a concession agreement for cable TV/ Internet, your initiative is required. Please ask your administrative contact person in advance in regards to what kind of digital feed is available. We will inform you accordingly..

  • When handing over the signed lease, we will let you know who is going to hand over the flat and the keys to you. As a rule, the local agent in charge will take care of this.
    Please arrange an appointment for this purpose. Please understand that this appoint usually has to be scheduled within our normal business hours. On weekends, no flat handovers may take place.

2. Topic

Questions about the existing tenancy

  • Unfortunately, there are not always sufficient or any cellar rooms available at all. To answer this question, please turn to your lease or the handover protocol. If in doubt, contact your local agent.
  • For your own safety, please place them in the assigned cellar room or possibly in the bicycle storage room located within the flat complex.
  • The total rent is usually made up of the net rental income as well as advance payments for the operating and heating costs. For the composition of the ancillary costs, please refer to your lease. If your home is heated by a central heating system, a heating prepayment will be required. If you are using the central hot water supply, your prepayments will also contain these costs. In addition to the base rent and the advance payments, further personalised costs may be incurred, such as additional fees for subletting your flat. For commercial real estate, we collect the VAT payment as well.
  • For this purpose, please contact your responsible local agent by phone or make a personal appointment.
  • Please contact your local operating costs clerk or your local agent.
  • Not in the common areas of the flat complex or on the property. The costs of disposal are then borne by the polluter or all tenants as part of the annual utility bill. However, recycling centres will accept your bulky waste free of charge LINK to BSR
  • Contact the employment office or job centre as soon as possible to have your rent covered and contact your local agent asap.
  • The interior decoration of your rented premises, including the interior painting or troweling the walls and ceilings and painting the floors, radiators and pipes, as well as interior doors and the windows and exterior doors from the inside, is left up to the tenant during the rental period. If you are planning on making structural changes to your home, which alter the building fabric (e.g. exchanging tiles in the bathroom or laying laminate flooring, wall breakthroughs, etc.), our written consent is required. Basically, we will grant the planned measures even in these cases because it is important to us that you feel comfortable in your home.
    Since we have a building department with trained personnel, you can talk to us so that we might be able to assist you with useful information. However, ask you to restore the contractual state when you move out in any case.
  • Tell the local agent in charge how long you will be gone for and where the key is stored for emergencies.
  • General consent will not be granted by the landlord. Please consult your local agent.
    Basically, the following documents are required:
    Copy of personal ID,
    proof of income for the last three months,
    current Schufa information,
    proof of no rent arrears by the current landlord.

  • We require a copy of the sublease agreement draft and a copy of the passport of the subtenant. After looking over these documents, we go on to draft a sublease agreement as part of your rental agreement. In addition, a monthly sublease surcharge can be applied.
  • For one, approval depends on the size of the flat and on the nature of the commercial use. It is best to talk to your local agent first and make a written request stating the nature, scope (how many rooms) and duration of use.
  • Provide written information to the responsible local agent including the death certificate.

    1. A written declaration if you, as the life partner of the deceased, want to continue living in the flat or possibly take over the lease.

    2. If the aforementioned is not the case, the lease shall be terminated by the heirs.

    3. If you refuse the inheritance, we would be grateful if you inform us in writing and send us the keys to the flat.

  • You may submit a request for adding an additional lease partner. We then carry out a credit check. As such, we need a copy of the ID of the respective person and proof of income for the last three months, a certificate of rent arrears freedom from the current landlord and we will conduct a Schufa background check.
  • The termination of the tenancy must take place in writing and must be signed by all tenants. Terminating the tenancy by fax or e-mail is not admissible. The statutory notice period is 3 months. As such, the notice must be received no later than the third working day of the month for us to terminate the lease by the last day of the of the next but one month. As part of the preliminary inspection, you will learn what cosmetic repairs are required prior to termination of the contract. This might include the dismantling of alterations and fixtures, for example.
    The preliminary inspection is not binding, since it usually takes place when the flat is still furnished and significant parts of walls and flat are still covered. During the final inspection, the condition of the flat is ultimately determined. This state will decide whether further work is required on your part, or whether the condition of the flat is contractual.
  • If you want to terminate your lease or have already submitted your termination and know of an interested tenant, you can of course propose a new tenant. However, we will always choose from several existing prospects when picking a new tenant.
    We ask for your understanding. Self-assessment sheets are available as a PDF file.
  • In most cases, we will refund your security deposit right away if there are no rent arrears at the end of the contract term and the flat condition leaves no grounds for any objections. The legislation states a period of 6 months for the return of your security deposit.

    If the final operating and heating expenses have not been settled for the proportionate rental period, we reserve the right to retain a partial amount.



  • All structural changes require the landlord’s consent. These include changes to the electrical system (e.g. installing a further outlet), the replacement of the hot water boiler, the mounting of a screen and a masonry breakthrough. Even solid floor bonding is a structural change because it irretrievably damages the existing flooring. When making minor changes that you can easily dismantle when moving out, no approval is required in most cases.
    But you should always ask with us to be on the safe side if you want to change something in the flat. In this way, you can also learn whether and how to reverse the change when you move out. Please use our Contact Form to reach out to us in this regard.

  • Of course, we approve of smaller animals that will most likely not cause any disturbances, which includes hamsters, fish or turtles.
    If you want to keep dogs or cats, we need a written request from you. You will then receive a questionnaire, in which you will let us know details about the pet in question.

    As a rule, and if no objections have been made on our part, we use this form to grant you permission to keep dogs or cats. Request Dog Ownership Approval. However, our approval may be revoked at any time if your neighbours feel disturbed by your animals.

    Further information about pet ownership can be found in your lease.



  • In this case, we ask you to contact us. Your local agent and the respective contact details can be found in entryway of your flat complex. Feel free to use our Contact Form

  • In your flat –

    1. Turn off/ shut down the main valve (if there is one)

    2. Let your local agent / caretaker / emergency service company know.
    In the flat above/ the flat complex in general –

    1. Knock on your neighbour’s door and turn off/ shut down the main valve (if there is one)

    2. Let your local agent / caretaker / emergency service company know. If all else fails: Call the fire brigade (CALL 112).

  • Even at night or during the weekend, the heating or power supply may fail. In order to ensure that emergencies can be remedied quickly in such situations, our emergency service companies have been instructed accordingly. We would like to point out that the emergency services company specified by us only accept reports of disruptions and damages that need to be corrected immediately.

    These include burst pipes/ flooding, total failure of electricity and water.

  • 1. Notify the police and file charges

    2. Let your household + liability insurance know (they will also cover the cost of damages to the flat door)

  • Please call the locksmith that is listed on the notice board in the hallway.

    IMPORTANT: When a key is lost or broken off or you have locked yourself out, the tenant bears the cost of opening the door.

    The landlord will only cover the costs or reimburse the tenant if a defect in the cylinder or the lock was present due to wear and tear and without external influence.

  • Please contact the police. Contact your local agent if you experience repeated disturbances. In addition, it may be necessary that you write a noise protocol as the person affected by the disturbance.
  • You will find all of the relevant answers to your questions on the topics of dampness and mould in your flat in our mould guide.

    Here you will also find information about humidity and windows and the right ventilation.

    LINK TO MOULD GUIDE Who is responsible when in the case of damages caused by mould, the tenant or landlord? Here, you will find valuable tips that will help you!

  • In the entryway, the winter maintenance company is listed. This is where you should address your complaints during and especially outside of business hours. Definitely let your local agent in charge know. Photos are very helpful to preserve evidence. Therefore, you should feel free to send us such photos with the date and time. Only then can we possibly make the appropriate compensation claims against the winter maintenance company.


Questions concerning commercial leases

  • The business license
    Registering your business may require a business license in certain areas, which is issued by the city or local government in charge. This must be done before your business registration can be obtained and filed with your rental application. Those who are unsure about what to do can contact the local authorities in charge and ask whether for a business license is required for their business. Without the right to start a business, no business license can be issued.
    Usage concept and rental purpose
    In order to offer you the appropriate rental spaces from our inventory, you should briefly tell us a little bit about your concept and the rental purpose. Perhaps the premises, which you are interested in, are not suitable because of elaborate fittings and diverse regulatory conditions and we can find you some more suitable alternatives.
    The Schufa information and other credit check documents
    Both in the case of housing as well as commercial real estate, presenting your actual and current Schufa information is a must. If you have already registered a business, you are required to present us with your business assessment. Furthermore, we need a no rent arrears certificate from your previous landlord.
    The notarial acknowledgment of debt with subjection
    This certificate is always required by our clients. A submission clause is usually added to a notarized acknowledgment of debt. What this means is that the debtor declares that he will subject himself to the immediate enforcement of an enforceable deed in favour of his creditor because of the creditor’s claims. The creditor gets an enforceable copy of this title. This title is enforceable by the creditor or a bailiff who may forcibly collect the debt and demand the surrender of the leased property on the creditor’s behalf. The submission clause provides the creditors with an enforcement order without turning to a court of law. This saves both parties from incurring unnecessary legal and litigation costs. The tenant is of course protected by the contractual arrangements.
    Security/ damage deposit
    By principle, the lease states that a security deposit is payable. The security deposit for our commercial leases amounts to three months of gross rent including utilities plus VAT. You can choose one of the following options:

    1. Your cash deposit is deposited into a separate security deposit account by the landlord

    2. The pledge of a passbook or

    3. The transfer of a guarantee by a bank

    4. Please note that we do not accept insurance. Legally speaking, it is possible to pay for the security deposit for flats in three instalments. Please note that the payment of the first instalment is due before the handover of the property.

  • All commercial leases must be in writing, provided that they last for more than a year, which is the case for the majority of all commercial tenancies. A commercial lease without written form is not necessarily invalid, but the tenancy is considered to be indefinite and the statutory notice periods apply, wherein the termination of the lease is not allowed any earlier than one year from the initial handover of the property.

  • Maybe you are not sure if your business is going to be profitable in the long run when entering into a new rental agreement. If you were to enter into a long fixed-term lease nonetheless, the necessity of moving to an alternative location might result in case of both poor business development as well as exponential growth. As such, a combination of a fixed lease term and subsequent, more unilateral options for the benefit of the lessee are agreed upon in most cases. In case of the unilateral option, you have the option to extend the lease by the agreed upon optional rental runtime.

  • The rent amount that is to be paid is freely negotiable. Commercial Tenancy Law states no directives or regulations. In accordance with the safety regulations for the rental of residential spaces, a certain rental limit may come into play in regards to the rent that is customary in a given location.

  • In calculating the commercial incidental costs, it should be noted that the cost of operating a central heating and hot water supply system should be recorded in proportion to consumption. The heating regulation provisions, which contain these rules, are based on legal provisions. Otherwise, freedom of scope also applies to the incidental costs in commercial real estate, wherein referencing the catalogue designated in Appendix 3 § 27 of the II. Expedience Ordinance has proven useful. In general, costs other than those listed here can be billed as extra costs, such as an administrative fee.

  • If the landlord opts for VAT, the tenant will also have to pay VAT. Since the value-added tax invoiced can be claimed as an input tax, you will not be at a disadvantage in case of the VAT option. A prerequisite for this is that you will have taxable transactions and the premises actually mainly generate revenues, which do not exclude input tax deduction.

  • In case of a fixed term agreement, the lease expires at the end of the period, which was agreed upon, without the need for a term of notice, unless otherwise agreed upon.
    A perpetual lease may be terminated within the agreed periods of notice or, if no period of notice has been agreed upon, in accordance with the legal notice periods (according to BGB, no later than the 3rd working day of each calendar quarter by the end of the next calendar quarter). In addition, a commercial lease may terminated outside of the contractual terms and conditions for good cause (such as serious breaches of contract, interference with the sanctity of the home, danger of the use of the leased property).

Have your questions not been answered?

In our Contact for Tenants area, you have the option to ask your individual questions via e-mail. We will respond within 24 hours or call you back during our business hours.

We are happy to answer your questions.

Phone: 030 / 666 504 2

Contact for Tenants

Monday – Thursday: 8am – 5pm
Friday: 8am – 2pm